Monday, December 1, 2008

Ill Is No Ill

"It is impossible that any ill should happen to the man who is beloved of the Lord; the most crushing calamities can only shorten his journey and hasten him to his reward. Ill to him is no ill, but only good in a mysterious form. Losses enrich him, sickness is his medicine, reproach is his honour, death is his gain. No evil in the strict sense of the word can happen to him, for everything is overruled for good. Happy is he who is in such a case. He is secure where others are in peril, he lives where others die." --Charles Haddon Spurgeon

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of what General Jackson said to Captain Imboden: "...because my god has appointed the hour of my birth as well as the hour of my death I will give it (death) no thought. I am therefore as safe in the battle as I am in the bed..."

Linda said...

I've just seen this posting, and it goes so well with Psalm 37 which also ministered to my sorrow-sick soul this morning. Yes, we can live where others die.