Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Prayer without Ceasing

“Direct my footsteps according to Your Word; let no sin rule over me." Psalm 119:133



According to J.R. Miller in his classic devotional work, In Green Pastures, this prayer from the Psalmist truly ought to always be on our lips. 
Indeed, he said, “We should get our direction from God, not once in our life only, when we first give ourselves to Him; not at the opening of each day only, as we go forth 
to the day's task; not merely at the beginning of each new piece of work or of each fresh task--but every moment, for each step. That is what walking with God means. 

We may make this so real, that we shall look up 
into God's face continually, asking: What next, dear Lord? What shall I do now? Which course 
shall I take today? How shall I do this duty? 

If we can but have God's guidance and help for 
the little short steps--we need not fear for the 
long miles--the great stretches of road. If each step is of His directing--the long miles will be 
paths of His choosing.”

Therefore, let us all make this our regular, constant, insistent, unceasing supplication: "Direct my footsteps according to Your Word;
let no sin rule over me."

No comments: